Thursday, 16 January 2014

More than a mere item.

"Mumbai na delhi waalo ko, pinky hai paise waalo ki."

I woke up today to my dad humming 'Paani Paani' by the infamous 'Yo Yo Honey Singh', a song whose video is basically a bunch of girls in bikini. I have caught myself chiggy wiggy-ing one too many times. I won't deny that I have too, like most people out there danced to tunes of item songs. But just because I have given in to social standards doesn't mean that I approve of these songs. They make my blood boil. Period. 

Songs and music are one of the most influential mediums. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a bunch of beats thrown together haphazardly by someone who owns a guitar will make more of an impression on the yet mold-able minds. So if songs are going to shape the minds of the current generation and the ones to follow, why hasn't an effort been made to ensure that these songs are good?

I am not a musician, I am writer. So when I talk about good songs, I mean those with lyrics that aren't quite so morally incorrect.

The feminist inside of me screams in agony when an item song comes up. These songs portray women wrongly. We not just about whats beneath the "pallu". Pinky is prostrituting herself. Chikni chameli is sneaking out for a smoke. Munni is humiliating herself for a boy. Is that all we do? Sell ourselves. 

I know it is just a song and I shouldn't be making a big deal out of this but the hard cold fact is that it is a big deal. These songs are from a female's perception. She is willingly doing these things and it is this that makes men believe that they can say anything, do anything to them. And the saddest part is that behind every item song is a large number of people. There are successful female singers who ought to be saying no to such demeaning songs rather than singing them. There are equally prestigious actresses to whom people look up to, who happily dance in skimpily clad clothes. Is the money paid worth it? Because while I have zero financial information about them, I am pretty sure they don't need it. And I am even more sure that as role models they need to know that the examples they set is of more importance than the money they were paid. 

It is not possible to ban these songs, they have become an integral part of the film making process but something needs to be done. These songs need to stop making a women all about their body. And not just songs in films but songs in general too belittle women. "I swear uss chotti dress mei tu bomb lagti menu". Why can't Honey Singh talk about how that girl had an impeccable sense of humor? Why can't they take a leaf out of Bruno Mars book and talk about how pretty her smile is? Is mentioning her "figure" all that important?I was pleasantly surprised when in 'Ghagra' Madhuri Dixit says that you can't a price on beauty. You can't. 

But till something is done, I refuse to listen to these songs and I pray that a miracle enlightens the closed minds around me. I pray that people I know realize that I may, for once have a valid point. I pray that it is not too late to change the ways and that the seed of item songs hasn't lodged itself way too deep.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is one of your best blog posts to date!

    ReplyDelete