Wednesday, 5 October 2016

On Traditions and Blogtober

I don’t like traditions. Traditions baffle me. They stem from such ancient history and yet so often we aren’t made to understand the significance of them. Traditions tell a story about a specific event in the past, but they also tell one side of the story. To do something without truly understanding its origins, in all its complexity seems unfair.

And then there is the matter of their relevance in the present day. Like everything from our past, they remind us of it. But do we actually learn from the past that traditions symbolise. And at what point in our evolution as a society do let go of it?

I’ll be honest, though, I don’t want society to lose its customs and cultures. They add a rich layer and yet I, as an individual, want as little to do with the traditional as possible. Why? Because it is a lot of work. There are strict rules that come attached and a right way of action. I don’t like that they aren’t personal or intimate and I really don’t like being told what to do. 


Maybe I should file this under the ‘Things you’ll understand better once you’re older’ cabinet. But with the upcoming Diwali festival and the current Navratri season, I want to talk about traditions and all that they can be. 

The truth is that I am a traditional person. My friend and I have travelled together every year since school. And there is a comfort in knowing we will continue to do so. When my friends and I have a sleepover we always go out for dinner, watch Disney movies and play cards. The details have changed but the format is the same. And with it comes a sense of belonging. 

For the past five years, I have taken a family trip with my cousins and family no matter what. Things looked bleak when I was studying at PACE but we still took out time and managed to make it work. And what are these periodic events if not traditions. 

And even this post is a part of a tradition. Last year, I had a series on this blog where I published a new blog post for every day of October. And I didn’t see it through but I gave it my best shot. And this year, despite my exams, I am going to give it a try. I know I won’t be able to write 31 posts. I am already five days late with this one but what matters is that I will try my hardest. 

And with these traditions, there are no rules. I was the one to start them and so there is a personal importance attached. And so maybe my traditions are more exciting for me because they are set in the future instead of the past.  What are some traditions that you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment