Tuesday, 10 January 2017

Wishful Drinking - Carrie Fisher | Spoiler Free

As a part of the 30 Book Challenge, I had to Read a biography/an autobiography.

*All reviews on this blog are spoiler free.*

"If my wasn't funny it would just be true, and that is unacceptable." - Carrie Fisher, Wishful Drinking.

When I first heard the news of Carrie Fisher’s death, I was upset and surprised; surprised that I was upset for I had no cause to be so. I never consciously looked at her as an inspiration because my knowledge of her life was limited, having seen only the Star Wars series a year back. And so Wishful Drinking became a way for me to know her, truthfully and in her own words. 

The autobiography reads like an erratic conversation with the author, an author who is a product of ‘Hollywood inbreeding’. Fisher talks candidly about the industry, her life and people in them. She recalls her life with a whip-sharp wit, a delightful mask of sarcasm and unabashed honesty. Her ability to laugh anything off makes the book a joy to read. Fisher doesn’t mask or hide from touching upon sensitive subjects. As a result, she becomes real, like someone whom you can touch and won’t fade into nothingness. It is an easy, short and immersive read and even the slowest of readers can devour it whole within 5 days.

The surreal stories that make up the book, drives home its singular selling point – Carrie Fisher’s personality. Wishful Drinking is a confession of Fisher at her worst and her best and serves to solidify my respect and admiration for her. What a book! What a woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment